Thursday, September 3, 2009
Tutorial A line Skirt With Elastic Waist for Girls or Ladies **Very Simple**
Here is a tutorial perfect for novice sewers, but great for more expierenced ones as well. This is a fun and easy project to make for yourself or a loved one, and can also be made with a heavier fabric like corduroy to make it an appropriate item for fall. The one in the picture is one I have for sale in my etsy shop.
1) As always measure your subject around the waist, and lengthwise stopping a little longer than you want it to be.
2) Take your fabric fold it in half, RIGHT sides together length wise and ON THE FOLD. Measure 1/4 of the waist measurement. Example if your subject is 20" around devide that by 4 and you have 5". With a fabric marker and ruler, from the fold, make a straight line this length .
3) Now at the end of this line you will make another line downward on the diagonal like a triangle. At the end of this line make another straight line back to the fold. You should have a half triangle shape drawn.
4) Cut this piece out, and repeat all of these steps on your other piece of fabric.
5) Hem the bottom of each piece by folding and pressing, and repeating, then stitching along the top.
6) Lay your pieces RIGHT sides together and sew up each side I would go 1/4 to 1/2 an inch in for my girls I go even a little further as they are rough on clothes, and the closer to the edge your stitch is the the easier it will rip out. You can go back and overlock the sides afterward.
7) Time to make your casing for your elastic. Repeat the steps for hemming making sure you have about 3/4 to an inch of space for your elastic, and stitch your casing shut leaving a little hole to feed your elastic through.
8) Feed your elastic through by putting a saftey pin on either end and feeding it through the hole.
9) Sew the elastic ends together and close up the hole, and VOILA you've got yourself a great new skirt.
As always if you've made something with one of my tuts, send me a picture. I would love to post it on my blog.
Be Sweet Retweet