Saturday, June 20, 2009

Tutorial: How to Make a Tote bag from a T-shirt EASY


I took an idea from a tutorial I saw for a no sew recycled tshirt bag and added a few of my own ideas. I really like this idea because not only are you recycling something you would likely throw out, but you are also not using plastic bags which we all know are horrible for the environment.

1) Lay your tshirt flat, cut a straight line from armpit to armpit. Save the top for later. stitch about 5" from bottom. I stitch this over a few times to make it sturdy. If you want to do the strips (next step) stitch on the outside the knots will cover the stitching. If not stitch on inside of shirt.

2) Turn your bag right side out and this is totally optional but you can cut strips about 4" up, and 1/2" to 1" apart. Please make sure you don't cut into your stitching. Then with the strips you cut, tie them into double knots this will also help the sturdiness of your bag, and it looks kind of fun 80's retro too. If you don't do the strips you can stitch closer to the bottom.

Your bag is right side out now cut about an 1" down each side and make a casing. Stitch casing shut leaving the sides open for your straps. Take the top of shirt and cut your straps. Cut them as long or as short as you want. Feed them through the casing and tie or stitch straps at the top. I tied mine I because I like it better.

Voila there's your new bag. Makes a great overnight bag for the kids, or a small grocery bag. Make several and take them shopping next time.

2 comments:

  1. Thank you, this is awesome. I often see things made out of old T's, but aren't impressed. The kid has tons of old T's that she has grown out of and are special. She wants to learn to sew now. This would be a fun project to keep her motivated!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks nice and I think I can do it. I'll try it sometimes.

    Jeepney Clothing

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...